Saturday, April 22, 2023

A slightly disappointing vist to Salute...



I was very excited to go to Salute again today as the last one I attended was, thanks to the Chinese, four years ago.  I hadn't even been on the London Underground for three years so that was stressful as I am still one of those people who wears a mask on public transport given I am in the 'vulnerable' categoty altough less vulnerable than I was. For those who don't know, dear readers, I had some cardiac problems back in 2019 which resulted in me having to have a triple heart bypass almost a year ago. Since then, however, I have felt much better and all my key medical indicators are the best thay have been for 15 years. This tedious medical history is pertinent in that it has effected my general outlook and my view on wargaming in particular.

After my operation on May 4th last year (the Force was, indeed, with me) I had no less than nine holes in me which I hadn't had before. The worst wetre the two in my leg where Mr Yap at Barts removed an artery. This area was painful for three months afterwards. "Oh yes they never tell you that is the worst," said my father-in-law a former eminent cardiac surgeon himself who facilitated mt getting to a top hospital. It meant that I could not sit comfortably at my desk for months which meant no painting so I contented myself with reading a lot (which I hadn;t done for ages) and watching old films on TV. The second most painful part was my breastbone which had been sawn in half so they could spread my ribs open and then stapled back together (you can feel the staples under my skin; they don't come out). Sneezing was not something you wanted to do after this for three months.  Now, I am not the most sensitive soul but the pain caused by these precision incisions was very bad for many weeks and it just got me thinking about what a bullet wound must feel like.  The thought of this still makes me queasy and is something I had never considered in my all too infrequent games of war.  In American TV shows, where they spend most of the time shooting each other, if the good guy (or lady) gets shot then they are portrayed happily sitting up in hospital with a small dressing on and then a week later are bounding around as normal. This, of course, is nonsense.  One of my scars (in my wrist) is still sore and the scar down the centre of my chest (I have used it to horrify my young neices) itches and I am consious of it  all the time. The upshot of this is that I am now very conscious of the real impact of battle wounds on soldiers. It won't stop me wargaming or painting soldiers but I do think about what the real thing must have been like, especially in hospitals with no anaesthetic and no lovely young nurses to look after you (goodness, the ladies in Barts were lovely - well as far as I could tell from their eyes but as I know from trips to the Middle East and the early months of the Chinese Virus most women look lovely when all you can see is their eyes).




The other effect of my surgery was for me to consider my finite future. My cardiologist at East Surrey Hosital (excellent in every way) told me my surgery would give me an extra 25 years. Unfortunately, Mr Yap, having seem my heart ("when did you have your heart attack? - I had no idead!) told me that I should get another ten years (one of which I have already had). So as I wandered around Salute today thinking about, as I had beforehand, getting some Oathmark dwarves I stopped myself and thought that I already have far more figures to paint than I can do in my remaining lifetime (frankly even with the twenty-five years originally promised I would not be able to paint all my figures). So I walked away from the Osprey Games stand and just came back with two boxes of the new Perry Miniatures Franco-Prussin War French which were released today.  I will post seperately on all the figures I nearly bought over the last more than three years I have spent away from my blog; this post being a way to reactivate it and see if there is any interest in it.



So, I felt rather disappointed walking around Salute today. Ennui might be a better term. So many figures I will never paint. So many games I will never play. So many rules I will be unable to comprehend. Yes, the French term is most apposite, especially now that Guy has acquired a sparky French girlfriend who lives with us from time to time. The lighting was worse than I remembered (or is it my eyes) which menat that I couldn't even really see most of the games in progress without standing about ten inches from them which you either couldn't becuas eof crowds (Big Red Bat's spledid Ipsus game) or didn't want to in case you are pounced upon by keen people trying to recruit players (I don't want to play games with people I don't know).  



This was even more the case for trade stands but this was partly because I felt that there were a lot of people there (not surpisingly considering the interregnum) but a lot less trade stands. In the past all the outside walls of the hall had stands against them, but not this year. A lot of firms I expected to be there, like Victrix, were not. There seemd to be more big firms with big stands many of whom were SF and fantasy games I had never heard of. There were a lot less (other than laser cut MDF) scenic makers. Resin scenery seems to have all but disappeared (compounded, no doubt, by the disappearnce of the much missed Grand Manner) and where were the usual foliage (or follidge) stands? It struck me as a very stripped back show. This may be because ExCel's fees are now so high that only bigger firms can afford it. It will be interesting to see if these scenic firms appear at Warfare or Colours this year. Of course it may all be because I couldn't see any of the stands!




I suppose I spent about an hour and a half there, very much my shortest trip. There were no ta lot of real showstopping games but I did like thie Never Mind the Billhooks set up. I was pleased with my Perry French (although they are going to be a right fiddle to paint) and it was a delight to run into Eric the Shed who has kindly invited me to view his new shed in the next week or so. Will I go again next year? I'm not sure. I've always preferred Colours not least as I can drive there and don't have to use public transport. It was the fiftieth anniversary show, however, so I felt I should go (I did go to the last one held in Kensington Town Hall so that must have been several decades ago).

After what sounds like aratoer negative post I did sit down when I returned and dis some work on my Repblican ROmans, however, so maybe just attending will kick start my painting for the yeat (although I am still waiting for some decent light!)

39 comments:

  1. Welcome back - I've really missed your blog posts. Good to hear you're on the mend. I thought Salute was pretty good - they seemed to have rented even more of Excel than ever so it actually appeared a bit emptier. Virtually nothing for my particular interest (28mm Peninsular War) but I knew that before I went and I could appreciate the huge amount of effort that had gone into many of the tables - games definitely look prettier these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good think is that I am enthused about doing some painting again. It ceratily was busy!

      Delete
    2. PS. I'm also very much appreciating Lucy Boynton. Just catching up on "Why Didn't They Ask Evans". She's very lovely.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear from you again, Legatus .. as ever, thoughts to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are on the mend. Looks like Salute is slowly disintegrating, even the traders do not seem to want to attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I did notice though was a lot more children there. Some hope for the future, perhaps.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the zipper club, had my chest opened up nearly 20 years ago and still going strong. After a few years you don't notice the staples. Just enjoy life, buy and paint what you like and "appoint" a wargames executor who will sort out your excellent wargaming legacy rather than your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear! A good idea about spmeone to look after all my wargames stuff or the Old Bat will just chuck it all away!

      Delete
  5. Salute was better than expected and I thought there was more historical stuff and fewer SF/Fantasy over-priced wannebe GW stands than 2018 or 2019 when I last attended. Clearly impressions differ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lighting and crowds are always a challenge but it sounds like this years was one of the busiest. Last year I came away without buying anything (same at Warfare) but I had a couple of purchases in mind this year before Covid put paid to my plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the problem. If you are not buying anything from the traders, it’s pointless them going. It costs a trader a small fortune to attend Salute or any show for that matter.

      Delete
    2. It certainly was busy! Too busy for me to ee anything!

      Delete
  7. My triple was 11 years ago - it’s just life (I was 47 - bit of a shock). Harder was the loss of my brother at the start of the year (60). Really does challenge one’s hobby. But I’ll be interested in how your future pans out.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to Salute once. I must admit I much prefer Colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to have you back blogging … and it’s a pity that you missed the blogger get together at 1.00pm.

    It was my first SALUTE in some years, and because I only live 45 minutes away by public transport I didn’t pitch up until 11.00am, buy which time the. Initial rush was over and things had calmed down. I find the light oppressive, the lack of ventilation appalling, and the flooring pretty murderous on my feet … but netting up with lots of online friends more than made up for it.

    Perhaps we’ll see you there next year.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't now about the gloggers meet up or I might have stayed a bit longer but my legs were aching!

      Delete
  10. Good to see you back. You have done what I do and give us the personal backstory to your hobby, and your hobby is affected (understandably). I have been (roughly) where you are and am happy to advise. But what worked for me may not work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this but I shall no doubt be better as soon as we get some sunlight! Off to see one of my lady friends on Wednesday so that will help!

      Delete
  11. Welcome back. I have missed your posts. they have always been interesting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back. Mow i have to log in to comment, but one of the anonymous comments were mine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I will try to go back to my weekly paintatble posts!

      Delete
  13. Welcome back, and sorry to have missed you at the show yesterday. I think a lot of the traders who used to be along the sides are now in the main aisles as they using more halls than they did pre-Covid. Looking at the traders list, the numbers seem about the same or even slightly more than 2019, but missing a number of former regulars - that could be down to costs, hassle of attending or a number of other factors (possibly in combination).

    I'm glad to hear that your trip has reinvigorated your figure painting. Here's to some good sunlight as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's hard to tell if the hall is bigger or not. I think I saw you in the distance at one point but there were so many people that the crowds closed and you wre gone!

      Delete
    2. It is bigger - they added 1 or 2 extra bays for the 2021 show (I think 1 bay for the show space and 1 extra for the queuing hall) to increase circulation space and kept that for this year. They now take up 10 bays of the 23(?) on the north side of the venue.

      Delete
    3. I thought the show was awful and will not be attending again. It’s glory days seem to have been over years ago. The lighting and the floor are terrible. A lot of traders I want to see do not attend anymore. It’s also very expensive for me to attend. A free dice tray, dice and resin figure do not really cut it with me.

      Delete
    4. I didn't eeven get a bag as they had run out by ten past eleven. They didn't bother to check my ticket. either.

      Delete
  14. What a great start to the week to see you posting again.

    Very sorry to hear about the surgery, but then again, it does beat the alternative.

    Hope you get some good light, and get to painting when you have the urge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back, hope to see some more of your entertaining posts in future. Sorry to hear of your surgery but hopefully you recover swiftly and it is interesting to hear the perspective it has given you on wargaming and war (injuries).

    Living in Australia I have never been to Salute, but I do sympathise with your reaction to it--it seems very "busy" and overwhelming and personally I would probably just go and look at some of the tables and not much more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you're painting again, the floor and the lighting are challenging at Salute but I rather enjoyed it, it was much better than their last one when they had to put it on in October to fulfil contractual obligations which was half empty and had barely any games, I find the crowds a positive as an indicator that it's getting back to normal but I understand it must have been a bit overwhelming if you've previously been shielding.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cor!
    Hard to believe Salute is still going strong after all these years. I used to be involved in the group, going to their games evenings and even making it onto the committee and publishing their mag for a bit.
    That it is still going and looks enormous these days, is quite startling to read about.
    Maybe I need to make a trip to see it in action next year.
    Anyway, good for you to be back. I have enjoyed the blog and wondered what had happened. Heart disease is no joke, as I know only too well.
    Keep healthy and keep on gaming.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back, really missed your posts

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heart disease runs in the family but I have given up drinkingt wine at home and only have it now on the rare occasions I go out. I shall look at your website with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great to have you back , sorry to hear about about your need for surgery , but glad it worked well, looking forward to your posts

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome back and may I suggest you take great delight in proving medical predictions wrong .. long may you game and paint on!

    ReplyDelete