Friday, June 22, 2012

The Russians are Coming!



Well, there are many other figures I should be finishing off on the workbench at present but instead I have just completed these three Mark Copplestone Back of Beyond Bolsheviks.  Technically, the lady is a repaint as I first did her before I got my painting glasses and I realised that she was far too contrasty.  I have toned her down a bit, therefore.




The other two Russians weren't completed so I finished them off too.  The cause for all this Bolshevism is that I have been helping Guy revise the Russian revolution for his GCSE.  He asked if I had any figures for this period and, of course I did.  I have a reasonably complete Chinese warlord force for the Back of Beyond but they don't have any opponents.  I have started another unit of Bolsheviks, therefore.  Like all Copplestone figures they are easy to paint and not too complex as regards uniforms so I would like to get the unit finished this month.




I think this range was one of Mr Copplestone's best and I still have a fair few to paint.  I did play one game of Back of Beyond with my Chinese against someone else's Russians at Guildford a few years back.  You don't need a whole lot of figures for a good game so I will try and get another unit or two done as I know I have more soldiers in these peaked caps.  The other unit I am working on has the distinctive pointed caps.  The Russians switched to grey for their uniforms in 1922 but Back of Beyond has some non-historic aspects (or maybe it's alternative history) anyway, so I am keeping mine in khaki.

5 comments:

  1. Good job! I've always been fascinated with the Revolution-Era Russia.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're very jolly.
    At some point I will crack ad buy a whole load of these.
    Currently I am just resisting, but you're not helping.
    :)

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking figures with great paint work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very well done, LH. Prresumably the lady bolshevic reminds you of one of your (many) girlfriends?!

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete