Saturday, April 16, 2016

Back from Salute 2016





So, off to Salute again today but I have to say my heart wasn't really in it this year.  I wan't feeling at all well and this, I suspect, was largely down to the five vaccinations I had to have this week: including the rather nasty yellow fever one.  I was due to fly to Nigerian next Wednesday but, thanks to the usual top flight Nigerian levels of organisation, this has had to be postponed. I can't say I am disappointed as the flights they had booked overflew Nigeria by six hours, went all the way down to Johannesburg and then back to Calabar, resulting in a 24 hour flight plan. Hopefully, with more notice I will be able to fly a more direct route.




So it was a somewhat jaded Legatus who arrived at ExCel at about 10.45 this morning.  It really isn't worth turning up for doors open and I walked straight in with no queuing, although the Warlords people seemed to be having trouble with their bar scanner things. Technology, eh?  I really like architectural models and hadn't noticed this one of ExCel before but it gives an idea of the size of the place - 100 acres!  It did seem particularly crowded this year inside the show, although the DLR and the building itself were much less so, as the London Marathon Registration is next week, this year.




It really did make it tricky to get to many of the trade stands and as I am too old and grumpy to queue I didn't bother with the likes of Hasslefree, Crooked Dice, Perry Miniatures or Empress, all of which were heaving.  There did seem to be a lot more stands featuring fantasy and SF games this year, many of which I had never heard of.  There were two free plastic figures for a SF game called Maelsteom's Edge in the goody bag.  This is a sort of sub 40K skirmish game and, worryingly, I have already been looking at their website as I fancy some desert planet scenarios.  I was very impressed with the Sarissa Precision SF buildings I saw at the show today which would work well with this.




The other free figure was the normal Warlords giveaway and this time it is one I will actually paint, as the steampunk girl will fit into my IHMN ladies of the night company.  I may even start on her tomorrow as I have a paint scheme in mind.  For a Steampunk themed event I saw very few steampunk events.however.  I had a very small shopping list this year as I really do need to get rid of hundreds, if not thousands of figures which I am never going to paint.  My main acquisition was a number of packs of Lucid Eye Savage Core figures as my Neanderthals are nearly done.  I also picked up an odd set from Foundry which I hadn't even seen before, loosely based on the fighting scene featuring Rachel Weisz and Patricia Velásquez from The Mummy Returns.  I just couldn't resist that but it was my only impulse buy.  They will fit in well with my Dark Fable Egyptian Harem Miniatures.  I also picked up the Black Scorpion Salute special lady, but that was it!





Mr Cartmell (centre) supervises


One thing I did really want to get was the new Blood Eagle rules and it was very nice to make the acquaintance in person of Craig Cartmell, who was overseeing a game with the rules.  I really liked the small scale of the board and I have always wanted to build a small Viking village, following an exhibition I went to in a Museum in Oslo once,  This all looks very achievable, scenics wise!




Actually finding a copy of the rules was not so easy, as they were selling rapidly.  By the time I got to Wargames Emporium's stand (Ainsty Castings had already sold out) there were only about five copies left.  Still, they look a lot easier to understand than Saga.  Looking at the huge Gripping Beast stand I wonder whether they might as well just rename the company Saga, as that was really all that was apparent.



One of the things I like to use Salute for is to look at things I am interested in to see them in real life.  I had not been very impressed with 4Ground's Arab houses in the pictures I had seen of them so far but actually they are very nice indeed and would certainly work for the Sudan, nineteen twenties Egypt and maybe even Afghanistan.




This was also the first time I had seen their La Haye Sainte model, which is huge.  I still cannot quite get rid of the idea of some Napoleonic skirmishing out of my head and the fight around this, given my old Airfix Waterloo farmhouse, may well be the way to deal with my Waterloo itch.  Should be on a hill, though!  In fact laser cut wood buildings, of which there seem to be an increasing number of manufacturers, are all much more properly in scale which means many of these buildings are very big compared with what we saw on tables a few years ago.




The new Congo rules were being played on a very nice Africa board and these I will certainly pick up when they come out as I have quite a lot of painted figures.  I even have a paddle boat!  I didn't get too close to the game though as it seemed to be infested with Frenchmen.




I thought that this year there were a lot more games being played on small boards and not so many showstopping giant ones.   This was my favourite, although I can't remember what it was called but I just loved the proper town at one end of the board.


I'm second from left.  I need a haircut! From Big Lee's blog.


Fourth from left in this one


I did go to the bloggers meet up and hopefully we will see some photographs of that appearing soon.  There did appear to be a lot of us this year!  It was nice to meet George Anderson of the Musings on Wargaming and Life blog for the first time and catch up with Alastair who, like me, seems to be struggling with wargaming on a Monday night.  I also ran into Eric the Shed who was busily photographing every game for his blog.  His pictures are here.


Resistance is futile


So, all in all I was there for less than three hours this year but I got all the things I wanted and avoided being seduced by things I didn't (little metal Rachel Weisz excepted).  All in all, I added very little to the lead pile which is a very good thing!  

18 comments:

  1. Yours is the first Salute post of the day...and a pleasure it was to read as your gaming tastes seem to echo mine perfectly. Glad to hear Blood Eagle is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT was good to see you again and I'm glad to hear that you didn't deviate too much from your shopping list :)

    Nice pics - I hope to get mine posted a bit later this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures now up on the blog...

    Sorry could not make Blog meet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you...hope the trips go well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so cross with myself as I am fairly sure that I followed you out of the venue and was desperate to shout out "hello Legatus" but bottled it! One of these years, I will say hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was feeling quite strange by that point so may not have been very coherent! Definitely suffering with my injection today. Not had any hallucinations yet, though!

      Delete
  6. Nice loot haul and pics. Some great looking tables. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pictures Legatus. Especailly of the game with the large baroque town (which I also think is very impressive). I'd be interested to find out who made the buildings. Unfortunately I didn't make it across from Czechia this year, so it is great to see the games here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone said they were old Faller railway layout buildings.

      Delete
    2. Yes - was talking to one of the guys running the game.. here you go: http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=FA130447&style=&strType=&Mcode=Faller+130447

      PS. I did see you, and can confirm you did look jaded.. I assumed a surfeit of vodka martinis and willing Bond ladies the night before... as you do... :o))

      Delete
    3. Sadly, my principal vodka martini drinking lady is in Australia at present. Still suffering from the yellow fever jab.

      Delete
  8. Well done on getting the post up so quick, great meeting you albeit breifly at the blogger meetup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left immediately afterwards. I wasn't feeling that good!

      Delete
  9. It was really nice for Lorna and I to finally meet you. I'm glad you liked the games you saw and hope you enjoy the rules.

    Cheers,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see someone else appreciates the fine sight of Rachel Weisz in single combat in 'The Mummy Returns'! I tried to get two of my female friends to re-enact the scenes but alas only one allowed photos of her in suitable model scenes with swords (not very Egyptian themed though but I wasn't complaining!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achieving one is still a victory I would have said! Well done!

      Delete