Saturday, April 22, 2017

Back from Salute 2017

Attractive ladies at right  probably aren't going into Salute - I suspect they may run fast


Well I am back from Salute, with the usual sore feet and tired legs but at least I won't feel as bad as all the London Marathon runners, who were all registering at ExCel too this year (after a break from coinciding with Salute last year) will after tomorrow.  I first ran the London Marathon in 1987 (3hrs 56 mins - marathon runners always tell you their time) and went to work the next day, stupidly.  I have never had such agony in my legs ever.  Literally every step was excruciating.  I ran it again in 1990 (3hrs 35 mins) and it wasn't quite as bad as I was better trained but it was still bad.  Even worse, when I got back to the station at home this afternoon, the Old Bat was at the garden centre and I had to walk home.  Good exercise, I suppose.  Ow.


The Raphia Mafia


I was going to say that I took the fewest number of pictures I had ever done at Salute but that is not true.  Still, I took less than ten pictures and this was mainly because it was so packed you couldn't get to anything.  You couldn't see the games and you couldn't see things on vendors stands.  Or at least. I couldn't but I am not patient and won't queue. There were far fewer of the big display games this year and really the biggest was Big Red Bat's splendid Raphia game using his excellent To the Strongest rules.  I nearly went and bought a load of Victrix pikemen as a result, as I actually have quite a lot of painted Macedonian cavalry and skirmishers from the Society of Ancients Cynoscephalae battle we did with Guildford Wargames Club almost exactly ten years ago, for which I panted sixty Greek figures just in April!  Still, not beyond the bounds of possibility in the future.




I did succumb to the new Victrix EIR Romans and some Little Big Men shield transfers.  I used to have some of the big Steve Sahleh Foundry Romans but I sold them to Big Red Bat some years ago.  I bought the Warlord ones but didn't like them as they were too small to match my (largely) Renegade Celts and Foundry Germans.  These, however look just the job.  I tried to get some in Orc's Nest this week but they have stopped stocking Victrix.  I don't know whether the bag rather than the box was just because they are new out or whether this is a permanent change.  Some of the Victrix boxes were huge but this doesn't offer much protection to delicate plastic components.  I think they are planning to make auxiliaries too, so maybe I will be able to field the mixed chainmail and lorica segmentata units I want to for the invasion of Britain in 43 AD; if they have interchangeable heads, for example.  But do I paint the tunics red or off white?




Some rather different plastics were on display at the Warlord stand with the new plastic Daleks and Cybermen.  You only seemed to be able to get them as part of a game (called Exterminate!, naturally) for £35 which they were selling, which looked far too boardgame-like for me.  Too many tokens in it!  Still, it seemed to be attracting lots of interest.  Also selling well was the new Perry TravelBattle and Mr Robert (Bob) Cordery, who I was delighted to meet for the first time said that if it sold well they might do an ACW one.




The Perry's always have some 3-ups of forthcoming plastic sets on display and this time they were showing those most useful of French cavalry, the Chasseurs a Cheval.  Not for me, I think but Eric the Shed had a huge bag stuffed with boxes of Napoleonic cavalry for his not a skirmish any more Peninsula project.  He has also posted some excellent pictures here.  Getting Salute pictures up is rather like the Beaujolais Nouveau race these days.




More interesting and something of a surprise were these 3-up Perry Zulus.  Neither the Warlord Games nor the old Wargames Factory plastic Zulus were brilliant but these should be excellent.  You can never have enough Zulus.  However, Perry and Warlord used to say that they wouldn't duplicate plastic sets but this is certainly happening now, as was the case with the Zulu Wars British on sale today.




Also attracting a lot of attention was The Drowned Earth team who were running several games on their stand.  The metal figures are really nice but the man there said it wouldn't really work as a solo game, so I think that has meant that I won't buy into this Kickstarte, apart from my other issues with them.




It was one of the small The Drowned Earth boards that I liked the most, from a scenic point of view.  I'm not quite sure what appealed to me so much about it but if I could have taken one home this would have been it.  The game itself seems to also suffer from counter-itis though.  I cannot understand why people spend ages painting figures and making splendid scenery and then cover it in counters or cards.  That is probably the painter versus gamer differentiator I suppose.




On the scenic front I bought two middle eastern mud brick type houses.  One was a 4Ground laser cut one and one was a foam resin one from TableScape, a firm I didn't know.   They have a number of other buildings which I could use for Afghanistan, the Sudan, Egypt or even Darkest Africa.  I will paint them both to match my Renedra one.  I picked up a few bits at the Renedra stand for my ACW project.




So that was really it.  I didn't arrive early enough to get the Black Scorpion pirate Salute special and for the first time I didn't get the Salute free figure either, which was more annoying as she would have gone in my Back of Beyond Bolshevik force. Still, I got more than last year with some: Iron Duke command for my Indian Mutiny British, Perry Afghans, Perry ACW Confederates in frock coats, Renedra worm fencing and 'American style' gravestones for my church model. Forty one figures added to the lead and plastic pile, though.  Could have been worse. I resisted (just) the Crooked Dice female minions, for example, the Vixtrix pikemen and some North Star 1672 figures (the fault of Versailles on TV, although to reflect last night's first episode of series 2 we would have needed a 28mm naked pregnant lady).


The Legatus at far left (picture stolen from Tamsin's blog)


I really enjoyed the bloggers meet (although there were less of us than last year) and it was nice to catch up again with The Wild Goose and hear his plans for the latest Latin American War of Independence figures from his Orinoco Miniatures.  Having spent all yesterday with Colombians I was looking out some of his British from the conflict to finish.  Always nice to see fellow Guildford Wargames Club and Shed Wars gaming ally/opponent Alastair.  I also caught up with the prolific Wargaming Girl, Big Lee and various others.  It was also nice to meet, for the first time, the well travelled Bob Cordery and the endlessly inventive Michael of Victorian Warfare fame.

I got to Salute at 11.30 and was out by 14.00 which was, I think, quite enough, given the bad light, the concrete floors and the number of people.  I am pleased with the things I bought but it is more a targetted shopping expedition now than a gentle saunter looking for inspiration, which it was in the past.  I don't know how much it costs to get a trade tand there but it seems much more corporate than the other shows like Warfare and Colours I attend.  Apart from one stand, the days of the amateur scenics maker, who you could pick up a few trees from, seems to have gone.  Everything is in professionally made boxes these days.  Probably a good thing for the hobby but..   Still, it was good to see quite a few youngsters playing games and more ladies than ever (although a disproportionate number did seem to have hair dyed in various shades of unnatural red).

In 2012 I went to ExCel to watch the fencing at the Olympics with my daughter and, like the Olympics. I wonder whether Salute hasn't now got too bug for its own good.   It is almost an endurance event.  I'll still keep going though, no doubt!

25 comments:

  1. You've done well getting your post out so quick. Great to meet up again, sorry we didn't get much time to chat though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that I can only take so much Salute so the whole thing is more time compressed

      Delete
  2. Good to see you again Legatus and you've got some nice loot there :)

    I realised when I got home that I forgot to bring that "cage" for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can have my freebie salute figures as long as you promise to paint them !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Legatus, thanks for the nice write-up and pictures! Would you mind if I place the pictures on Wargame News and Terrain to share with my readers? Full credit towards your blog of course! Looks like a nice haul, should really get some transfers myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to agree. I also only lasted for two and a half hours. I found it frustrating that the aisles were not marked this year and several traders were either missing or out of place. The floor is very unforgiving. And you cannot get a decent beer in the complex. Managed to walk 12 kilometres (according to my phone) and that's enough
    Regards
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still daft enough to drive to Excel (parking is now a flat rate £20!) so arrived very early and queued with the masses - 99%+ male with lots of large bellies, excess facial hair, humourous (sic) t-shirts and unfeasibly large backpacks. I thought it was less busy than recent years but very few memorable games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no real showstoppers this year. But at least the games there were being played not just looked at.

      Delete
  7. Another quick post-Salute blog post!! All I've done since getting home is walk the dogs and take some painkillers for my aching ankles...we're on an alcohol ban so I can't even numb the pain with wine! I'll have to try and get mine uploaded tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's probably about ten years since I have gone to Salute. I cannot stand the Excel and find the experience gives me a banging headache. Like you I prefer Colours (which my club runs, so I may be biased) and Warfare in Reading. I have noticed talking to traders that some do not attend Salute anymore. I wonder also what the footfall is, as I also note there seems to be resistance from some gamers like me who do not attend. Is it the venue, travelling or the high entrance price?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that my favourite scenics firm, Grand Manner, don't attend any more and I always bought something from them at Salute.

      Delete
    2. I would agree with Simon prefer Colours and Warfare... for me, and I had a ticket this year, the reason I didn't go was because I just didn't fancy it.. I usually go with my mate DG and he's not going any more after last year (event just got too busy), and for me there is less and less historical, and more and more fantasy/scifi/alternate reality, and less and less games to look at... and all in all it's a 12 hour day if I attend and I thought of a hundred other things I'd rather do... so did... good post, Legatus!

      Delete
  9. A great summary for those of us who were otherwise engaged on the other side of the world. Thanks Legatus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have taken more pictures of the games but it was often too crowded to see them

      Delete
  10. Lovely to finally say hello, but like you I was fading fast at that point and desperate to sit down and look at what I had bought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures and report. it's all a tad busy for me these days. I prefer Warfare & Colours and the fact that i don't have to fork out £20 for parking (as i read in an earlier comment).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent show report. Always good to meet you, just a pity I didn't have more time to chat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting how so many people have so many different experiences about the same event. I wonder how much longer it will before Salute becomes just a trade show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was great to catch up with you again Legatus. Thank you for the figures plug as well. Must concur with you about Salute; after a couple of hours it's draining, though I thought the crowds weren't as bad as in some previous years and the ventilation seemed far better. My all time favourite show remains Crisis in Antwerp. Too much money spent as usual.

    ReplyDelete