Thursday, September 24, 2015

What's on the horizon?



Well, having finished a couple of figures last weekend I am now wondering what to have a go at this weekend.  I didn't mention it in my last post but nearly all of my spare time is being taken up by putting together an academic course for a London university business school at present.  This involves meeting lots of university staff and discussing how the course will be structured, at present.  I need to write the fifteen page course guide so that will take up most of this coming weekend I think.  So any painting will be peripheral but I think next on my hit list will be some Lucid Eye Neanderthals, which are well on the way.  Given the amount of stuff on my workbench it is really crazy to be contemplating anything new but I have just, rather belatedly, started watching 1864.  North Star have announced and 1864 Danish range (the Prussian opposition being provided by their already existing 1866 range).  The first shot of them (above) is really irresistible; such wonderful character in their faces.  I wish I knew who the sculptor is!  I have nearly bought into the 1866 range several times but always held off and hoped that Footsore's Franco-Prussian range would more along but it hasn't. 




I have spent quite a bit of time in Denmark and was disappointed that Matt's First Schleswig War range was never completed.  The only issue I see with the North Star figures is that their more realistic proportions will look odd next to the Prussians (I am sure the current range is smaller than that originally launched by Helion).  The other, issue, of course, was that the conflict was a bit of a one sided walkover with only one principal battle.  Probably won't stop me though!




The other thing that is on my mind at present is Frostgrave, despite my initial disappointment at the lack of winter clothing for the figures (it's supposed to be cold). It's another game that should only involve a small number of figures.  Guy and I used to enjoy Lord of the Rings Battle Companies, which had a similar evolving warband structure.   It's just a question of seeing if anyone else is interested in playing.  As it is already nearly October I need to get on with my Jason and the Argonauts figures for the planned Shed Wars campaign next year.  I still haven't found my 7th Voyage rules, though!

5 comments:

  1. I'm also enjoying Frostgrave - it's a nice combination of Saga and a light D&D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these ranges have some really character sculpts. The Danes in particular appear like they walked out of period artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frostgrave has caught my attention...I'm not totally sold on the background but it's easily adaptable to something that will suit me better. I missed 1864 but the figures look lovely and the period (and the other related wars around that time) are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Danes look incredible. Luckily, my mid 19th Century projects are all 15mm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As it happens, I just got a sample figure from this range, and I took a few pictures with some miniatures I had to hand (no 1866 Prussian figures, sorry).

    ReplyDelete