This week a classic example of how easily I get distracted. Whilst hunting around on my floor for something else I found a pack of Darkest Africa musketmen which I bought for my Zambezi projects. "These look quick to paint!" I thought and, eager to try out my new one pence coin basing, quickly based and undercoated them.
I've been at Southampton University all day (where I had an interesting look inside the RJ Mitchell wind tunnel) where, appropriately, they had a bicycle in it. I got back early enough to get the base coat and one shade done on them. I should have time tomorrow to move them along a bit more.
The Afghans are not forgotten and I finished the shading on the faces of the final eighteen of these. I've made a conscious decision to move to wargames standard painting and save my more careful approach for skirmish type characters. I really can'd do five stage shading anymore as it means I never get anything done. Hopefully, from a distance it won't be too noticeable. The North West Frontier British are due out from North Star any day. The speed of North Star's despatch has improved of late and I ordered the next pack of Neanderthals yesterday. I've managed a bit more on them too. I'm still trying to avoid going to Peru at the end of the month as that will mess up my new found enthusiasm for painting.