Saturday, August 18, 2007

Wash up, Doc?

I base most of my figures on 20mm square artists mounting card. The only exceptions are figures which are for rules which do not require ranked up formal units and for these I have used 20mm M10 washers. The M10 refers to the size of the hole in the centre.


I had used up my stock of the ones I had (left) and when I went to get some more from the DIY shops I found that they had trimmed the external diameter (centre). This was annoying as the new washers were noticeably smaller than the old ones. I have been searching for over a year to find the old size with no luck. For my new Artizan Pulp figures I had taken to prizing washers off some unpainted Future Wars figures I had not got around to.

Fortunately, in Cowes they have an old fashioned ironmonger called Hursts and I managed to get a couple of hundred of of the right external diameter washers and, even better, they are M8s so the internal diameter is smaller. This is much better for those figures which have very small bases like John Hanning Speke, here.


In the past I would have had to cut a piece of card to bridge the gap making the figure taller than it should be.

So hooray for Hursts! I am going back to Cowes next weekend for the Powerboat Grand Prix so might pick up some more.

It's very sad when the highlight of a sailing holiday is buying washers..!

1 comment:

  1. You might want to check out PWS – they now do round bases in steel with no hole in the centre.

    ReplyDelete