Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Quest for the Lost Rules

Painted so far

As regular readers will know, I have slowly been working on some Jason and the Argonauts figures.   I have loved the story of Jason from even before the time I first saw the Ray Harryhausen film at my uncle's house in the late sixties/early seventies, when he had a colour TV and we did not.  This is a film I watch regularly and I have also the soundtrack CD for.  I also like the Hallmark TV mini series version from 2000 and even have the soundtrack to that.  




I have many books on the Argonauts and a lot of unpainted figures, monsters and, indeed the splendid Grand Manner Argo, pictured here with one of my Jason and the Argonauts mugs and my long neglected Greek Myths blog




Now, another wargamer has suggested a Jason project and so I can bring some focus to this heretofore rather desultorily pursued project.  A key part of this will be a good set of rules and what better than Crooked Dice's Seventh Voyage Harryhausenesque ones.  Said wargamer asked to have a look at them, when I said I had them.  "They are a bit buried," I replied but I set to looking for them today.  Now nearly all my wargames rules are on a bookshelf in my study.  Unfortunately, they are currently buried behind approximately 300 copies of Penthouse magazine which need sorting and a lot of boxes which need to go into the shed.  Anyway, I started to move them today to get at the shelves behind without getting distracted by naked ladies with big hair from the eighties.  I looked and I looked.  I couldn't find the rules anywhere.  I started to doubt if I had, indeed bought them at all.  I looked on the shelves with my Jason books.  Nothing there either.  Puzzled.  I searched this blog and discovered that I had, indeed, bought them at Salute 2013.  So where are they?  I need another search tomorrow.

13 comments:

  1. Possibly nestling up with the August '83 centre fold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Miss Shana Ross. Don't really go for blondes!

      Delete
    2. Me neither. The wife gets really sniffy!

      Delete
  2. Clearly,with so many distracting items to further investigate, the search may take awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They went on a voyage...the eighth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the search...'big hair' ...does that somehow go with 'Golden Fleece'... I'll let the double entendres roll from there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was, of course, something in the eighties called the Laurel Canyon Sweep!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like finding these rules could be quite fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgive me - what on earth is a "Penthouse jigsaw puzzle"?! And it is a 3-D puzzle by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not 3D and I don't think they have made them since the seventies. This one is Miss October 1974 Laura Doone I think (it doesn't say on the tin). It's going on eBay of I can check all the pieces are there!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the search and do try to avoid being distracted by other items you might find while doing so :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to reading about your former colleague!

    Re. your dig for Seventh Voyage, have you tried a stratigraphic-chronological approach?

    Ave!


    Almost Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Talk about a game waiting in the wings. You seem to have all the moving parts - just need to paint up that lovely Argo. That's a great looking bronze bull - love the tarnishing effect. Looking forward to seeing this gamed. BTW, I too love both cinematic versions - I love Dennis Hopper, but Frank Langella made a great Aeëtes.

    ReplyDelete